This can be a distressing time for both you and your pet. Dogs are very intuitive and can pick up on your body language. So take a DEEP breath and lets get started. To make it a fun time for your pooch maybe have some treats ready and only do two paw's today and the other two tomorrow.
- Adjust the cutting guard up against the blade.
- Locating the nail bed, or quick, inside your pet's nail - this is where the blood vessels and nerves.
- The quick is easily visible in light colored nails. A little harder to find on dak nail.
- Use this clipper with the cutting blade toward you and cut the nail well short of the quick.
- If you can't locate the quick, just take a few millimeters of the end and leave it at that.
- If you accidentally do cut the quick, wrap it in a cold towel to help stop the bleeding.
- After trimming the nails, smooth the edges with a Nail File.